Well, this is my first post so i better make it special eh? Well no, nothing that i'm going to say is that special because i don't really have anything special to say but to hell with it, it's my blog and i will say what i want; whether its excruciatingly boring or not. Anyway.....
Music:
I think about this a lot but i've never posted it down anywhere so here i go. Music to me is more than simply something to listen to: it's a diary, or a way to remember the past better than any other thing. Take tonight for example. I listened to 3 songs that reminded me vividly of different times in my life. Ok, my life hasnt been long so far (i've recently turned 21) but a huge collection of songs can chronicle my life pretty succinctly. There is nothing that links these songs in any way other than that they are 'my' songs. Now really, do you know any other 21 old who listen to Lady in Red by Chris De Burgh who can tell you exactly the first time they heard the song and why they remember it? (It was on a GCSE history trip to Belgium and I remember it because me and one of my best friends at the time changed the lyrics to badger in blue...long story). I've changed A LOT since then; i no longer keep in contact with the friend and i like to think i've matured a fair bit, but i still remember fondly the memories that that song bring and strangely, even if its been months since i last listened to the song, all of the lyrics.
I don't know why, but when i listen to a song that brings back memories, i always feel regret. I don't think its because i wish i was back in the time I first heard it, or that i wished i hadnt changed, i just wish that i had listened to that song every day so the past would never leave me or that i wouldnt never forget the lyrics to a song that i once listened to so much.
My girlfriend told me today that when she becomes a parent she wants to be a voice of wisdom when it comes to music for her children, and educate them in the music she grew up with. I'm not so naive to think that when the day comes when i'm a parent, if it ever happens, that the dubstep or electronica i listen to at the moment would be anything but a vague figment of the past, but i would like to know that whenever that day comes, i will be able to impart the knowledge of the songs that bring back fond memories now onto anyone who would care to listen and maybe create new memories to go along with old songs.
By the way, x-factor sucks.
Song of the day:
PS: Don't hate on the Burgh
Thanks a LOT for the tutorial to get MLB on my PS3 in the UK, it worked a treat!!! Fantastic work mate :-)
ReplyDelete