This is as much to remind me as to help others since it'll probably be only me reading it!
Basically, there are a lot of MLB.TV subscribers in the UK but a bit unfairly, the MLB.TV app is only available to US and Canadian PSN users. I figured there would be a way of getting around this and by fiddling around a bit, I managed to do it. So here it goes.
First you need to get the MLB.TV app from the PS store. If you're on a UK PSN account, you won't be able to find it, so what you need to do is create a US account. This is pretty easy. Create a new PS user and then a new PSN account linked to a different email address. To fill in the name/address section just use this website: http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/ and make a US identity. Once the account is made, log into it and download the MLB.TV app. You need to go to the media button on the left hand side then navigate to the app. It's free and pretty small so it won't take long...and now the first step is done!
Next step is to link the app to your MLB.TV account. To do this, you need to go to the activate your ps3 part of the app and it will give you a code. When you try to go to the website to put in this code, an error will come up. Basically this is because the website knows that you are attempting to access from a UK IP address and it doesn't like it. So what you need to do is trick the website into thinking you are on a US IP address. To do this you need to use a program such as Hotspot Shield: http://hotspotshield.com/
Start up and connect with the program then use http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to find out what location your new IP address is. 90% of the time it will be a US address, but if it isn't, just disconnect and connect again until it is a US address.
Now you can go to the website http://ps3.com/mlbtv , navigate to 'Current subscribers activate your PS3' at the bottom, log in, and now you should be able to enter the code your PS3 gave you. The PS3 should now tell you that it is activated, and voila, it is all set up! You should be able to watch everything as if you were an American! (Don't forget to disconnect from the Hotspot Shield at the end unless you want to watch Hulu or something on your PC, because the connection won't be as fast or reliable as your proper internet connection. This does trick ANY website into thinking you are in the US so if you want to watch something that you can only watch in the US, Hotspot Shield will help. [Hotspot Shield will only effect the IP adress of your PC, not your PS3.])
Have fun!
That's brilliant - thanks for posting this.
ReplyDeleteThis is driving me crazy.
ReplyDeleteI can't get the PSN to send me the email I need to continue.
I have tried creating a new account from behind hotspotsheild and using the disposable address from fake name generator.
Anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong? Could someone please help me ou. dave dot groves at gmail dot com
Dave.
Thats odd. You should try creating a new email address (link). Then try again. Are you sure you set up the PSN account correctly? That's the only reason this wouldn't work. Let me know if it works.
ReplyDeleteYou can't use the same email address you have registered to any other PSN accounts, and to my knowledge, you don't need to be under Hotspot Shield to register an American account.
Tried 5 or 6 different existing and newly created email accounts, none of which are associated with PSN. Each time I got as far as creating an email login and password then got told they had sent me a mail and to follow instructions from there.
ReplyDeleteNot once did I get an email from them. Checked spam etc and nothing. Can't figure out what i am doing wrong.
I don't have a clue what the problem is then. Sounds like a problem with the PSN registration process. Sorry I can't help. The only thing I can suggest is that if you have any friends with a PS3, ask them to create a PSN account linked to their system, then download the mlb app. Once thats done you should be able to add that PSN account to your ps3 and download the app on yours.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot for getting back to me on it. I will probably just pass and settle for watching on my computer. Don't get to use the TV much as the wife is usually on it.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the season.
Dave.
Just to let you know I got it sorted in the end. Must have been a PSN fault.
ReplyDeleteJust an FYI. If you link your Playstation account via MLB.TV then you don't need to use hotspotshield to do it.
Thanks again for the guide, it was invaluable and has allowed me to watch my Baseball on the big screen.
Dave.
I've created a new account but PSN won't let me log in to it, it just says "you cannot sign in using another user's sign-in ID (e-mail address)." Any ideas?
ReplyDeleteHave you created a new user on the PS3 with the new PSN account? I'm guessing if you just try and change the sign in info on the current account won't work so you need another user. If you have created another user, i'm not sure why it would say that.
ReplyDeleteMan you rule ! This works perfectly from Paris :)
ReplyDeleteJust came back from a 3-week road trip in the US and watch the opening game at the Yankee Stadium and another game in Tampa, and now I'll be able to watch games here in France on my TV, I'm so happy !
Ok I'll have to stay awake at night due to the time zone (6 hours) but with a few Sam Adams it'll be OK ;)
Thanks for your gratefull help !
FRancl
I was getting confused between users and accounts before, but I've got it to work properly now. Thanks for all your help.
ReplyDeletehi all, just about to buy a ps3 purely so i can watch mlbtv on my actual tv. just wanted some reassurances that this still works for us in the UK?
ReplyDeletecheers!
Last time I checked it did work. If you are buying the ps3 solely for the mlb.tv though, you may want to check whether you're computer/laptop has hdmi output for your tv because you'll be able to watch mlb on your tv if you connect it up that way. Might save a bit of money!
ReplyDeleteThanks Matt. My laptop doesn't, and I'm being offered a PS3 for £100 from a friend. I'm an xbox man, but always fancied having a PS3 too.
ReplyDeleteI'm sick of watching MLB on my iphone!
Hey Matt, are you going to do the same again for this Season?
ReplyDeleteI am resubscribing this year yeah, and i'll try to reply to any queries anyone has about the tutorial or MLB.tv in general. I hope this still works the same as it did this year but if it doesn't i'll make amendments as necessary.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it is working this year, cannot access any games with US account
ReplyDeleteThe select game option is always grey
ReplyDeleteI'll have a look when I have time. I haven't used my PS3 for any games this year yet.
DeleteHey Matt, it's working! many thanks for this mate! GLGLGLGLGL
ReplyDeleteHey matt, followed your advice at the start of last year. Its probably the worst thing that happened to me - I used to be a casual viewer, now I'm just addicted. I mean last season was amazing, and this season so far has been great for this long time D-backs fan. Cannot believe how good the quality is, as well as the frame rate. Cannot believe they don't make it available worldwide as a matter of course but hey you've got an amazing work around! well played sir, well played.
ReplyDelete(Not that it works on PS3, but if like me you are a fan of most US sports, check out the US equivalent of tvcatchup.co.uk at usatvnow.com)
Share the knowledge!
You have to enter your card details to activate the PS3 feature for 2013 so they determine your location. Does that spell an end to this method? I don't want to enter mine and then find out I can't get it on my PS3.
ReplyDeleteAny ideas?
I'm not renewing my subscription this year (don't have the cash) so won't be able to check whether this still works or not. Sorry if it doesn't; worked for a year at least!
DeleteJust an update, the method still works for the 2013 season.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
WIll this method work for bypassing local blackouts if not do you know how I can do that?
ReplyDeleteThanks! This is what I needed.
ReplyDeleteWill this work for the PS4 in the uK too?
ReplyDeleteI found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. free psn codes
ReplyDelete